BMS-AVIATION SERVICES & AIR CARGO
- BMS Aviation Services and Air Cargo in Collaboration with Logistics Sector Skill Council
BACKGROUND OF THE PROGRAMME
HITS has signed an MOU with the Logistics Sector Skill Council (LSC) on 17 February 2020 to launch the apprenticeship embedded BMS (Aviation Services and Air Cargo) programme. This programme is an industry linked programme which offers a unique opportunity to the students to pursue paid apprenticeship opportunities in their fifth and sixth semesters. It is globally acknowledged fact that the Aviation and Travel Tourism industry is growing, both in format and handling of specialized functions at a rapid pace. The growth in Aviation signals parallel growth in Travel and Tourism Sector. In this course, students will learn how an aviation, Air Cargo functions, Basics of Business Communication and Economics, Aviation Operations, Safety and Security and Role of Human Resource in the Aviation industry. The students shall also be learning online certain parts of the course through MOOCs. The apprenticeship opportunity will help the students to be trained hands on in the industry. Interestingly, HITS is already a partner of LSC for the apprenticeship based BBA logistics programme.
SCOPE OF THE SECTOR
India’s aviation market is expected to be world’s third largest by 2024. The civil aviation industry in India has emerged as one of the fastest growing industries in the country during the last three years. India is currently considered the third largest domestic civil aviation market in the world. India has become the third largest domestic aviation market in the world and is expected to overtake UK to become the third largest air passenger market by 2024.
India’s aviation industry is expected to witness heavy investments in the next four years. The Indian government is planning to invest US$ 1.83 billion for development of airport infrastructure along with aviation navigation services by 2026. This is expected to generate a large demand for management professionals in the aviation and the airline enterprises.
FORMAT OF THE PROGRAMME
The apprenticeship-based UG Degree Programme has been designed with the primary objective of creating adequate skills for gainful employment at supervisory / managerial levels in Aviation Services and Air Cargo Industry. In order to ensure effective skill development, 60% of the programme component and duration constitute on-the Job Training in the form of industry apprenticeship.
Candidates for admission to the Apprenticeship-based UG Degree Programme in Logistics shall have passed +2 in any group or equivalent with not less than 50% marks from a recognised Board. Should clear an entrance examination to be conducted by LSC.
Following are subjects offered as Core and Electives (including MOOC courses):
- Analysing Financial Accounting Statements
- Fundamentals of Logistics
- Introduction to Aviation Industry & Airport Operations
- Quantitative Techniques
- International Business
- Introduction to Air Cargo Industry
- Air Cargo Manuals and Regulations
- Revenue Management & Pricing
- Air Cargo Operation Processes
- Air Cargo Customer Services
- Aviation & Air Cargo: Security & Safety
- Air Cargo Agreements & Alliances
- Air Cargo Terminal Processes - Practical
- Air Cargo Business Support Functions – Practical
- Freighter Handling at Airport - Practical
- Mechanised Handling & ULD Operations – Practical
- Introduction to Aviation Law
- Air Cargo Sales & Marketing
- E-Commerce Technology and Management
- Exim Policy, Procedure & Documentation
- 28 Courses at 7 per Semesters I, II, III, and IV
- 4 Practical Courses at two per Semesters V and VI
- 2 Allied Courses at one in Semesters V and VI
- Apprenticeship Training for 12 months (300 days) spread across equally in Semesters V and VI.
- In this course, students will learn how an aviation, air cargo functions, basics of business communication and economics, Aviation Operations, Safety and Security and role of human resource in the aviation industry. The students shall also be learning online certain parts of the course through MOOCs.
BENEFITS TO STUDENTS
- On-the-Job Training (apprenticeship) for two semesters
- Gaining the appropriate skill required for employment in the fast growing logistics sector
- Acquiring the critical requirement of attitude required for corporate career
- Two semesters of certified industrial experience, and degree at the end of the programme
- Acquiring confidence to face real life situation at work place
- Industry ready with necessary knowledge, skill and attitude
- Employable by industry immediately after graduation without the need for training
- Final placement facilitated by LSC
Apprenticeship is embedded in the curriculum of this programme during the fifth and sixth semesters (semesters V and VI). This is to facilitate the student acquire necessary skills and attitude required for corporate employment.
The duration of each tranche of apprenticeship is six months.
Students would be treated as employees of the company where they are deputed, and would be governed by the rules and regulations of the company concerned. The Manager under whom the student is assigned for work would be the Industry Mentor of the student.
Students would receive monthly Stipend, as per the provisions of Apprenticeship Act, 1961 during the Apprenticeship period (V&VI Semesters during the three-year period of the degree programme). LSC would facilitate placement of every student for Apprenticeship.
Assessment of the students on their apprenticeship is made by LSC involving a team of three experts consisting of a faculty member of the collaborating institution, the industry mentor of the company where the student is in apprenticeship, and an external expert (either from industry or academia) nominated by LSC. The team will make three assessments during the six months of apprenticeship period