B.Tech Civil Engineering
- B.Tech Civil Engineering
Vision of the Department
The department envisages offering the essential skills, knowledge and ethical framework to excel in the field of Civil Engineering
Mission of the Department
To provide the students with the opportunity to transform themselves into career professionals empowered with analytical skills and knowledge to enable them to gain the state-of–the-art technology and design in the areas of Civil Engineering to the development of global community
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PO1. To provide students with a sound foundation in Mathematical, Scientific and Engineering fundamentals necessary to formulate, solve and analyze engineering problems and to prepare them for higher studies.
- PO2. To impart creative and effective technical skills and design experience required for their professional career.
- PO3. To provide opportunity for students to work as a team on Multi-disciplinary projects.
- PO4. To help the students to become efficient Entrepreneurs having their own consultancy/ construction firms.
- PO5. To inculcate effective written and oral communication skills.
- PO6. To instill ethical and professional demands of contemporary Civil Engineering practices.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- PO1. Possess mathematical skills, theoretical as well as practical background in physics and chemistry and computer proficiency necessary for Civil Engineering.
- PO2. Possess the ability to conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- PO3. Be able to design Civil Engineering structural systems that serve the basic needs of the society.
- PO4. Be able to apply the Civil Engineering software skills to analyze problems.
- PO5. Be able to demonstrate team work in multidisciplinary works.
- PO6. Be able to communicate effectively in both verbal and written forms.
- PO7. Be able to demonstrate the role of the Civil Engineers in society with an ethical and professional stand.
- PO8. Acquire qualities required for life-long learning.
- PO9. Develop creative and effective technical skills to analyze and design for the society.
- PO10. Acquire skills to participate and succeed in competitive examinations.
About the Course
Civil Engineering involves planning, designing, executing and maintaining structural works. Civil Engineers develop infrastructure to have a profound effect on the society considering the function, aesthetics, economics and sustainability.
The course features basic sciences, Mathematics, Engineering graphics, Computing techniques along with the fundamental Engineering principles of construction materials. Building Drawing and Laboratory classes in testing of materials help to understand Civil Engineering in a practical way.
The fundamental principles are applied to study the behaviour of solids, Fluids and Soils. Surveying and Environmental Engineering are introduced.
In the third year analysis and design of steel and concrete structures and Foundation Engineering are focused. The students can opt for a special elective subject prescribed in the curriculum.
- Structural Analysis
- Design of Steel structures
- Design of concrete structures
- Design of Hydraulic structures
In the Final year, management and maintenance of construction projects are dealt. The students have to undertake challenging real projects individually in analysis and design of structures.
Electives such as
- Structural Dynamics
- Earthquake Engineering
- Housing Planning & Management
- Bridge Structures
- Repair and Rehabilitation of Structures
- Tall Structures
are offered to enhance the knowledge in special areas of Civil Engineering.
Civil Engineers can find jobs in Government departments such as PWD, TWAD, Railways Department, Highways Department, BARC, ONGC, Private and Public sector industries such as L& T, TCS, DLF, Eversendai Construction Pvt. Ltd., research and teaching institutions. There is always a high demand for experienced Civil Engineers globally.
Duration : 4 Years