Founder Chancellor's - Profile
Dr. Mrs. Elizabeth Verghese
Dr. Mrs. Elizabeth Verghese is an illustrious Chancellor of Hindustan Institute of Technology & Science and the Chairperson of the prestigious Hindustan Group of Institution, Chennai.
She is a Civil Engineering Graduate from Govt. Engineering College, Trivandrum, Kerala and a Post Graduate in Engineering from Birla Institute of Technology (BITS), Pilani and obtained her Doctorate in Education from the Cosmopolitan University & Research Institute, United States of America.
She has served the Government of Tamil Nadu for 35 years in various capacities before retiring as the Joint Chief Engineer in the Highways Department. She was the first woman Engineer in the department and was involved in the various Research activities of the State Government. She has represented the department in various forums of Central & State Governments and other professional bodies and also served as the Member of the Norms Committee of Indian Road Congress, New Delhi.
Dr. Mrs. Elizabeth Verghese took on the mantle as the Chairperson of HGI after the demise of her husband late Dr. K.C.G. Verghese, who was an outstanding educationist, a dynamic leader and a visionary par excellence for whom no horizon was to large to gaze at.
Dr. Mrs. Verghese is a pioneer among woman Chancellors in the private sector education in India. Her emphasis is on excellence in imparting quality education in various institutions under the Group. She encourages everyone at HGI to facilitate creativity, innovative thinking by creating an exclusive learning ambience to fuel their growth as future technologists and scientists, and has won many awards, laurels and recognition.
Some of the Awards and accolades received by Dr. Mrs. Verghese are:
- "India Icon 2020 Award - the Iconic Person" presented by ICT Academy
- Indo Australian Award for the Meritorious Service in the field of Education in 2014.
- Perarignar Anna Award - for her excellent contribution in highways and rural works department - awarded by the Government of Tamil Nadu in the year 1997. She received this award from the then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Dr. M.K. Karunanidhi.
- Lifetime Achievement Award for Education Excellence - by Indian Economic Development & Research Association (IEDRA)..
- Women Super Achiever Award - 2013 - by Asian Leadership Forum, Dubai.
- Eminent Engineering Personality Award - 2013 from Institution of Engineers, India.