LAUNCH OF M.TECH. DEFENCE TECHNOLOGY | Event Date: Friday, 29th, October 2021
The School of Aeronautical Sciences launched its M.Tech. Defence Technology programme and organised Workshop on “Engineering & Design Challenges in Defence Systems Development” on 29 October 2021.Dr. Tessy Thomas, Director General Aeronautical Systems (AS), DRDO; and Dr. V. Ramanujachari, Former Director DRDO, CSIR Bhatnagar Fellow, IIT-M presided over the occasion as Chief Guests. Dr. S. N.Sridhara, Vice Chancellor, delivered the inaugural address highlighting the achievements of HITS.Mr. Ashok Verghese, Director, HITS & Dr. Aby Sam, Director, HITS in their Special Address emphasised on the vision of the Founder, Late Dr. K.C.G. Verghese, the importance of Defence Technology in India, women empowerment in HITS and more participation of girls in programmes offered, and the preparation and launch of KCG satellite.
Dr. Tessy Thomas’ address marked events from her 34 years of work experiencestarting from education to being a scientist in DRDO. She highlighted on the
- Involvement in the missile system navigation and development projects, aero gas turbine, UAV, etc.
- Need for the indigenous technology development and innovation in defence – Aatmanirbar Bharat.
- Awareness of defence technology needs to the student community.
- Opportunities for students to involve in research & start-ups in association with DRDO.
WORKSHOP ON “ENGINEERING & DESIGN CHALLENGES IN DEFENCE SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT”
Speaker: Mr. Karthikeyan, Former Group Director, DRDO & Professor, HITS.
Topic: Airborne System Design and Development.
- Need for the Airborne systems in reconnaissance and surveillance.
- Design and simulation of systems using modern tools like MATLAB.
- Future of the Airborne Systems.
Speaker:Dr. V. Ramanujachari, Former Director DRDO, CSIR Bhatnagar Fellow, IIT-M.
Topic:Futuristic Aero Engines.
- Aero engine technology – India’s stance.
- Research advancements in supersonic engines like SCRAMJET.
- Scope for research in engines for the semi-autonomous aerial vehicles.
Speaker:Dr. K. Ramajeyathilagam, Senior Professor, HITS.
Topic:Damage Assessment of Aerospace & Marine Defence Vehicles for Weapon Threats
- Need for the development of advanced materials for the autonomous under water vehicles (AUV).
- Impact Testing of materials to prove their capability for use in AUV.
- Damage assessment methods – experimental and numerical simulation