INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM CUM WORKSHOP ON SMART MATERIALS AND CHEMICAL VAPOUR DEPOSITION | Event Date: Wednesday, 31st, October 2018
SMART MATERIALS AND CHEMICAL VAPOUR DEPOSITION
The Centre for CLEAN ENERGY AND NANO CONVERGENCE (CENCON), a research initiative of Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science (HITS) has organized an International Symposium cum workshop on “Smart Material Meet-2018” on 30th & 31st October 2018 at HITS Padur, Chennai Campus. The theme of the Symposium was “The Smart Future with Innovation in Materials” and the Workshop aimed at inauguration of Chemical vapour deposition (CVD) followed by hands on training on CVD, as HITS has procured the this facility at Central Instrumentation Facility (CIF) of CENCON very recently. On 31st October, CENCON has conducted the faculty development program (FDP) on “Project Proposal Submission for Upcoming Calls”.
Objective of the Symposium The International Symposium on “The Smart Future with Innovation in Materials” covered a wide range of interdisciplinary and current research topics related to Smart Materials at their Nano scale. Since, the Smart materials have revolutionized in many areas like Energy production and storage, Memory devices, Automobile, Biomedical applications, Gas sensing and so on by offering natural esthetics coupled with excellent durability and biocompatibility, their innovations in material science have marked the beginning of the Smart future. The primary objectives of this symposium were to facilitate interaction between researchers, eminent scientists, and students working in the fields of development of smart- materials. The symposium aimed at addressing current advances and challenges in energy sector, especially the renewable and clean energy scenario, by providing a platform for distinguished scientists, academicians, young researchers and students from different parts to have productive interactions and discussions.
Objective of the Workshop The workshop on CVD aimed at introducing the advantage of CVD in Synthesizing various low dimensional nano materials like Graphene, Carbon Nanotube (CNT) and various Oxide, Nitride and Sulfide based two dimensional thin films. The participants got hands-on training on the CVD facility while learing the deposition method, which is used to produce high quality, high-performance, solid materials, typically under vacuum condition.
Objective of the FDP program The 2nd day program on FDP was aimed to support and encourage the HITS faculties with doctoral degree to apply for government-funded projects, which ultimately will contribute to the development of science & technology. The FDP program gave an opportunity to the participants to interact with experienced professors from various academic institutions like Pondicherry University and Uppsala University, Sweden. The program was extremely useful for HITS young researchers working mostly working in the energy related field.
Eminent Scientists from India and around the world gave the talks,
• Prof. J. Kumar, Registrar, Anna University. Gave the Keynote address on “Innovation of Smart Materials for the smart Future” on 30.10.18.
• Prof. B. K. Panigrahi , Director E &I Group, IGCAR Gave a Talk on “ Development of radiation resistance materials and devices for FBRs” on 30.10.18.
• Prof. Rajeev Ahuja, Department of Physics & Astronomy, Uppsala University, Box 516, 75120, Uppsala, Sweden spoke about “Materials for Energy Storage : Li & Na-ion Batteries and Hydrogen Storage” on 30.10.18.
• Dr. M.Balaji, Assistant professor, Dept Of Energy, University of Madras gave a lecture on “Mechanism and Application of Chemical vapour Deposition technique” on 30.10.18.
• Dr. Ashraf , Research Associate, Anna University, Chennai gave hands on training on “Chemical Vapour deposition technique”.
• Prof. Ramaswamy Murugan, HOD, Dept Of Physics, Pondicherry University delivered a lecture on “Energy storage materials “ on 31.10.18.
• Prof. Rajeev Ahuja, Uppsala University, Sweden addressed on “A prospective on Swedish education system and funding between Sweden – India” on 31.10.18.
Since Interdisciplinary research is the need of the hour and networking though such Symposium paved the way for convergence of our ideas towards improvement of quality of life through Smart materials.