M.Tech. Internal Combustion Engineering
- M.Tech. Internal Combustion Engineering
About the Course
The Internal combustion Engineering course trains the students to design, develop, manufacture, simulate, and the repair of Automobile Engines and to enable them to explore new areas in IC Engines.
- The demand for Internal Combustion Engineering is growing with the expansion of Automotive Industries and increasing demand for vehicle as well as power. With increasing concern for pollution and fuel efficiency, automobile engineers are required to acquire the knowledge in the areas: fuel efficiencies, reduction in pollution, bio diesel etc.
- The students are engaged in developing Engine & Engine aggregates and are encouraged to simulate with the help of software packages like MATLAB SIMULINK, STAR CCM+, ANSYS, LAB VIEW etc.
- The students are exposed to Regulation and Specified standards prevailing in the country.
Internal Combustion Engineering is a two year (Four semesters) course in which the first two semesters consist of theory subjects and the third semester consists of theory and project work – phase-I and the fourth semester is fully dedicated to project work.
|Core subjects||Elective subjects|
|Advanced Heat Transfer||Computational fluid Dynamics|
|Advanced Thermodynamics||Advanced Fluid Mechanics|
|Instrumentation for Thermal Systems||Automotive Engine Systems|
|Combustion in Engines||Engine Auxiliary Systems|
|Alternative fuels for I.C. Engines||Gas turbine|
|Electronics Engine Management Systems||Jet and Rocket Propulsion|
|Engine Pollution and Control||Manufacturing and Testing of I.C. Engines and Components|
|Internal Combustion Engine Design||Marine Diesel Engines.|
|Simulation of I.C. Engine Processes|
|Supercharging and Scavenging|
|Microcontrollers and Micro Electronics for I.C. Engine Applications|
A degree in Mechanical Engineering or allied branches from any recognized university with First Class.
Every student is required to undergo summer training during their vacation in and around Chennai to get exposure to the latest technology in automobile engineering.
For project work, Automobile department encourages students to concentrate more on research areas and introduce their innovative ideas for the development of the field. Core areas include:
- Analysis of Flow over submerged bodies like vehicles
- CFD analysis of Intake manifold and exhaust system
- Alternate fuels etc
The students who pass out successfully get placed in all automotive and other industries which have an in-house design and R & D. There are Campus recruitment drives conducted by leading industries and students usually get placed even before completing their coursework and project.
Some of the top automobile industries for placement are:
- Mahindra and Mahindra
- TVS motors
- Renault Nissan
Duration : 2 Years