CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE IN SATELLITE TECHNOLOGY | Event Date: Friday, 30th, September 2022
About the Centre
The Centre of Excellence in Satellite Technology (CEST) is the advanced research centre established in HITS to nurture and accelerate the growth of Space based technological applications for the benefit of society and to impart advanced training and research in the field of Satellite Technology and Development.
The Centre of Excellence in Satellite Technology was inaugurated on 30 September 2022 by Dr. S. Somanath, Chairman, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) in the presence of Dr.M Ravichandran, Secretary, Ministry of Earth Sciences and Dr. Mrs. Elizabeth Verghese, Chancellor HITS. The other dignitaries present for the inauguration were: Dr. Anand Jacob Verghese, Pro Chancellor, HITS and Dr. Ashok Verghese, Director, HITS.This centre is established under the expert guidance of Dr. A Sivathanu Pillai, Founder CEO & MD BrahMos Aerospace, Professor Emeritus (Research), HITS and Dr. S N Sridhara, Vice Chancellor, HITS. The Centre involves the active participation of members of faculty and students from the departments of Aerospace, Aeronautical, Mechatronics, ECE, EEE, CSE and IT.
Goals of the Centre
- Launch a Nano Satellite by the Students
- Offer Honours Degree to the students of HITS
- Develop and Launch Can / Cube Sat
- Create awareness in astronomy and train students in handling astronomical instruments
- Inclusion of the Satellite Tracking Ground Station in the Aerospace Curriculum for training the students on Satellite Tracking and Data Processing
- Design of Satellite Systems
- Launch vehicle system development
- Capacity building to develop a Nano Satellite in-house
- Impart extensive research in the field of astronomy
- Develop facility to Fabricate and Test Space Systems
- HITS CEST will produce trained man power in Satellite and Space Technology which is the first of its kind in Indian Educational Institutions.