Library and Information Science
Librarianship as a noble career, offers an assortment of employment prospects. Today there are a number of career visions in Library and Information Science. The qualified experts are employed in various libraries and information centers. Skilled library professionals can find opportunities for employment both as educator and as a librarian/Information professional.
Department of Library and Information Science
The Department has well-qualified and energetic faculty enthusiastic to the advancement of the students. The library has innovative infrastructural facilities like LIBSYS with modern technology such as D-space Server, iMac PC's and iPad with Wi-Fi Connection. The Department emphases mainly on the advanced teaching and research methods recognized to increase the knowledge and the curriculum of the course is very wide-ranging and job-oriented.
About the Course
The Department of Library and Information Science has been offering two year integrated Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) and compilation of one Year MLIS consider as a BLIS Degree. Research Programmes such as M.Phil and Ph.D. are also offered.
Qualified library professionals can find opportunities for employment both as faculty and as an Information officer and Librarian. The following are the major employment areas offering job opportunities to the library professionals.
- Central and State Government Libraries.
- Libraries of National Museum and Archives.
- R&D Centre like ICAR, CSIR, DRDO, ICSSR, ICHR, ICMR, ICFRE, etc.
- Resource center of Foreign Embassies and High Commissions.
- Libraries of Ministries and other government departments.
- National Level Documentation Centers.
- Digital Libraries in News Channels.
- Libraries of Radio Stations.
- Databases provider firms.
- Publishing companies for preparing Index, abstracts, bibliographies etc.
- Various digital library projects like 'Digital Library of India' etc.
- MLIS (Master in Library and Information Science) Integrated Programme Eligibility: Bachelor's Degree in Arts and Science or Engineering of any recognized University.
Duration of Course: 2 Years (4 Semesters).
- M.Phil. in Library and Information Science (Full-time / Part-time)
Eligibility: MLIS from any recognized University with minimum 55% percentage of marks
Duration of Course: 1 Year (2 Semesters).
- Ph.D. in Library and Information Science (Full-time / Part-time)
Eligibility: MLIS from recognized University with minimum 55% percentage of marks
Duration of Course: 3 Years (6 Semesters).