BBA - Logistics in collaboration with Logistics Sector Skill Council
- BBA - Logistics in collaboration with Logistics Sector Skill Council
Background of the programme
HITS has signed an MOU with Logistics Sector Skill Council (LSC) to launch a BBA (Logistics) programme. This programme blends learning experience which shall be a combination of conceptual learning in classrooms followed by a paid internship in industry. Specific curriculum developed by the LSC shall be imparted to the students, which shall enhance their employability. There has been so far no formal educational programme in the country to address the skill gap in the logistics sector. The MOU has been signed keeping in mind this gap and the emerging opportunity. The programme is a blend of theory and hands-on learning through apprenticeship.
Scope of the sector:
The Indian logistics sector is valued at USD$ 150 billion, contributing 14.4 % of India’s GDP. Logistics sector employs about 21.24 million people as of 2016. Out of this, 54% are employed in passenger roadways segment, 35% in road freight while remaining are in passengerrailways, freight forwarding, warehousing, packaging and other services
Format of the Programme:
The apprenticeship-based UG Degree Programme has been designed with the primary objective of creating adequate skills for gainful employment at supervisory / managerial levels in Logistics Industry. In order to ensure effective skill development, 60% of the programme component and duration constitute on-the Job Training in the form of industry apprenticeship.
Candidates for admission to the Apprenticeship-based UG Degree Programme in Logistics shall have passed +2 in any group or equivalent with not less than 50% marks from a recognised Board.
Curriculum Structure and Distribution of Courses
The Programme structure of the UG Degree Programme is built with 21 Papers at 7 per each Odd Semester, 6 Practical papers at two per each Even Semester, 3 industry-Certification courses at one in each Even Semester, and on-the-job apprenticeship training for 18 months (450 days) spread equally across the three even semesters.
Benefits to Students
- Travel Agents & Tour Operators II
- On-the-Job Training (apprenticeship) for 18 months
- Monthly stipend of Rs. 5,000 to Rs. 9,000 for 18 months during apprenticeship
- Gaining the appropriate skill required for employment in the fast growing logistics sector
- Acquiring the critical requirement of attitude required for corporate career
- 18 months of certified industrial experience, and degree at the end of the programme
- Acquiring confidence to face real life situation at work place
- Industry ready with necessary knowledge, skill and attitude
- Employable by industry immediately after graduation without the need for training
- Final placement enabled by LSC
The following companies have been identified as Mentor Companies for students of apprenticeship-based BBA Logistics offered by HITS from the academic year 2019-20 in collaboration with LSC
1. ADANI Kattupali & Ennore Ports
2. Balmer Lawrie& Co Ltd
5. Indo Space
6. Spot On
7. TVS Logistics Services Ltd.
8. TVS Training and Services Ltd.
9. Updater Services Pvt Ltd
- Apprenticeship is embedded in the curriculum of this programme during the three even semesters (semesters II, IV, and VI). This is to facilitate the student acquire necessary skills and attitude required for corporate employment.
- The duration of each tranche of apprenticeship is six months.
- Students would be treated as employees of the company where they are deputed, and would be governed by the rules and regulations of the company concerned. The Manager under whom the student is assigned for work would be the Industry Mentor of the student.
- Students would receive monthly Stipend, as per the provisions of Apprenticeship Act, 1961 during the Apprenticeship period (18 months in total during the three-year period of the degree programme. LSC would facilitate placement of every student for Apprenticeship.
- Assessment of the students on their apprenticeship is made by LSC involving a team of three experts consisting of a faculty member of the collaborating institution, the industry mentor of the company where the student is in apprenticeship, and an external expert (either from industry or academia) nominated by LSC. The team will make three assessments during the six months of apprenticeship period
- Final placement in logistics sector for all students of this apprenticeship-based UG Degree Programme will be facilitated by LSC.
- List of participating companies : All companies in the General Council of LSC
- Placement Criteria: Students who successfully complete all requirements of the degree programme and have secured a consolidated mark of more than 60% are eligible for placement in the first round. Placement of candidates with less than 60% marks would be taken up in the second round.
40, G.S.T Road, St. Thomas Mount, Chennai - 600 016. India.
Ph.: +91-44-2234 1389 / 2234 2508 Fax: +91-44-2234 217
Campus Hindustan Institute of Technology & Science
1, Rajiv Gandhi Salai, OMR, Padur, Chennai – 603103.
Ph: +91-44-2747 4262, 2747 4395 Fax: +91-44-2747 4208